Thursday, January 19, 2012

Game day snacks

I just booked a VACATION to Florida for February.. 19 days away!!! Ahh I have no time to prepare for this so my meals might become a little less adventurous as I try to squeeze into my summer clothes in 2 weeks.

I am trying out a few different snacks this weekend since the Patriot's are playing and I'll have to skip the beers and nachos sadly..

I loooove jalapeño poppers and chips and salsa. Those are both two great snacks.. Trying to come up with new healthy ideas for those were tough but I managed to find some recipes.

I went as far as buying the ingredients but I have not made yet. Ill update how they were once eaten!

Baked, Not Fried Jalapeño Poppers

Makes 18 poppers

9 fresh jalapeños
1 8oz pkg light cream cheese
2 cups grated white cheddar cheese
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp chili powder

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Slice jalapeños in half lengthwise. Scoop out all the insides. In a bowl, mix cream cheese, 1 cup of shredded cheese, garlic, and chili powder. Spoon the mixture into jalapeño peppers. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top of peppers. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden and bubbling.

**you can make these ahead of time and refrigerate for up to 24hrs.


The next recipe I'll share today are baked Zucchini Chips.

3 zucchinis, shredded.
2 eggs
2 cups mexican blend cheese
Spices- either black pepper or chili powder

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Grease 2 baking sheets, or line with parchment paper.
Shred zucchini with either a cheese grater or in a food processor.. Not too much or it'll get mushy. Ring out all excess water as they do hold a lot of moisture.
Mix zucchini in a bowl with cheese and eggs.
Make 6-8" rounds on cookie sheets. (very thin)
Cook 12 min, flip over and cook another 5 min.
With pizza cutter, slice rounds to triangles, about 6 for each round.
VERY IMPORTANT-
Let cool on a rack in a cool oven for 6-8 hours.
After chips have dried all the way, sprinkle with spices of your desire.

I think it's best to do overnight so you won't freeze up your oven for the day.

Good luck.. I know the chips take awhile but do the night before and it's definitely worth it to have the crunch of chips. I do miss chips. Dip in guacamole or salsa!

Email or comment with any questions..
Pictures to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment